Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sleepless in Minneapolis

To end your anxiety and claim my culinary victory the "Traditional Minnesota Dinner" was in fact highlighted by walleye. Our dinner with Senator Grassley (R-IA) was very successful and we had a good time talking with him about issues and politics. We also had wild rice, beef tips over pasta, and several salad options. I was chastised for not drinking local beer, but quickly righted that wrong and we finished the dinner with a great carrot cake. All in all, it exceeded expectations, which in reality was not too hard given our initial trepidations. Also it is valuable to note that no one fell in the pool during the patio reception, though there were a couple of close calls as attendees angled in to speak with the Senator who wisely used the pool as a protective barrier.

After the dinner, I wanted to head straight to bed but Amy persuaded me of my duty to soldier on and represent AOTA among the GOP revelers. We attended a party hosted by the Bipartisan Policy Center at a beautiful restaurant called Bellanotte. We were there with delegates, fellow advocates, and there was a rumor that former Senator Dole had been the life of the party just before we arrived. Pictures exist, at least of Amy and I; we'll post them on the site soon.

The next morning there were breakfasts and events throughout the morning followed by a luncheon where Penny and I were able to make important contacts with mental health leaders. You can read more in Penny's blog, but I wanted to thank AstraZeneca for hosting the lunch and am glad Penny and I had the opportunity to sit with Congressman Ramstad (R-MN) and the CEO of AstraZeneca for the event.

Tonight we are preparing ourselves for a marathon session at the Xcel Center where we, probably like you, are very interested to see Gov. Palin speak on the national stage. I am also preparing myself for our PAC Chair's wry looks and protestations when I try to sneek off to my hotel after the convention; she forgets that I am older than she is.

We are hopeful to make even more contacts at the Xcel Center tonight and we'll keep you informed on our adventures. --- Tim

No comments: